Thursday 15 July 2010

Book Review - Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis

Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis(buy me)

Synopsis
My Name is Zelah Green and I'm a cleanaholic. I spend most of my life running away from germs, dirt, and people. And I'm just about doing ok and then my stepmother packs me off to some kind of hospital to live with a load of strangers. It's stuck in the middle of nowhere. Great. There's Alice who's anorexic. Caro who cuts herself. Silent Sol who has the cutest smile. And then there's me.

The Review
OK so I haven't read a book that would fall in the category of self discovery and Self Perception because I'm an emotional soul and I know I would be a blubbering mess by the end. I was pleased that this wasn't a book that had me blubbering but had me engaged and curious with the occasional smile and giggle.

Vanessa writes this book with sweet simplicity which explores the subject matter with humour and empathy allowing you to flow from page to page with great understanding. The Queen of Clean is what it is, a simple, clean and quick read, not lingering on one point even though it explores self-harm, anorexia, attempted suicide, depression, cancer and alcoholism, she is never patronising or employing self-improvement trash.

I really have to give credit to Vanessa as she has hit all the right spots with Zelah Green and I am really looking forward to turning the pages in the sequel Zelah Green - One More Little Problem, for anyone who has not read this I would recommend it especially for all teens!

Happy Reading xxx

6 comments:

  1. wow - lots of issues there for a cute read. sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh it was a interesting read, like i said i expected to be blubbering i even had a box of tissues handy ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh sounds like my type of book loved the review! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this, but I love the cover and it sounds really interesting, especially since I know a germ-a-phobe. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second review I have seen this week - it just makes me want to read it even more. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never pick a book that deals with so many problems as I usually stay away from issues on paper,the concept of a cleanaholic is interesting and your review would make me consider reading this.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys...feel free to leave a little love